How can you cope with the wrongful death of a loved one?

On Behalf of | Aug 19, 2020 | personal injury |

One of the hardest challenges that you may ever have to face is the loss of a loved one. If a family member died because of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, it may not be until the conclusion of your wrongful death case that you receive closure. In the meantime, the feelings of sadness mixed with anger can be overwhelming at times.

Grief is something that you work through rather than “get over.” The fact that your loved one died in an accident caused by someone else can complicate the process. While there is no set period in which to grieve your loss, the American Psychological Association affirms that with time, the feelings associated with grief become less intense. The APA also suggests ways that you can handle your grief in a constructive way.

1. Talk to a professional

Your grief may be complex because your loss was someone else’s fault. You may feel anger toward the individual as well as sadness. A licensed mental health professional has experience and training to help you handle feelings such as these in a way that is constructive rather than destructive.

2. Share your feelings with others

Avoidance or denial of your feelings only prolongs the grieving process, so you should find appropriate channels in which to express them. You may think that talking about your feelings with others imposes a burden on them, but often the opposite is true. Expressing your feelings with family members who share your loss lets them know that they are not alone in their grief. The burden becomes less the more people who share it.

3. Find a way to honor your loved one’s memory

There are many ways of doing this, but in the case of a wrongful death, it may be particularly meaningful to do something to prevent future loss of life due to a similar cause. You may accomplish this by making a donation to an organization that works toward the prevention of such accidents or by lobbying government officials for a change in the law.