Child support enforcement and foreign countries

On Behalf of | Aug 17, 2020 | Family Law |

Enforcing a child support order is often tough, especially if a parent refuses to work or make payments. However, some child support cases are especially complex, such as those which involve a parent who lives in a foreign country. If your child’s other parent lives abroad, you have to review various issues and have a clear understanding of the options that are available to you.

Fortunately, there are various laws and agreements that help many custodial parents receive the child support they are owed, even if the child’s other parent is living overseas.

Child support and the Hague Convention

If you are owed child support from a parent living abroad, you need to check if the country they are living in is a member of the Hague Convention. According to the Office of Child Support Enforcement, the Hague Convention facilitates child support enforcement between countries. Moreover, the U.S. has agreements in place with certain countries that do not participate in the Hague Convention, known as Foreign Reciprocating Countries. In fact, some countries have agreements with individual states even if they are not a Foreign Reciprocating Country or a member of the Hague Convention.

Consequences and child support enforcement

There are other strategies to deal with parents who are delinquent and refuse to pay child support. For example, those who owe a certain amount of back child support are unable to apply for passports in the U.S. and existing passports are revoked. If you are facing uncertainty because of back child support you are owed, and your child’s other parent lives in a foreign country, you need to review your individual circumstances closely.