Is my ex trying to ruin my relationship with the kids?

On Behalf of | Mar 20, 2020 | Firm News |

Deciding to file for divorce is a challenging and complicated time in a person’s life. Many changes have probably occurred and there may be more to come. In such an uncertain time, it is understandable to feel overwhelmed.

What can make this situation even more difficult is if your ex-spouse is actively trying to sabotage your relationship with the kids. This action is known as parental alienation, and it not only causes you mental anguish, but it also takes a toll on your children mentally.

How to defend against parental alienation

If you find yourself in this situation, one important thing to keep in mind is having control over your emotions. Your ex could be looking for a reason for the court to amend your custody agreement. Letting your emotions take over could lead to losing custody. Some tips to overcome parental alienation include:

  • Gather evidence: Take note of every time you were not allowed to see the children. Keep any text messages that show your ex being manipulative as well. Keeping track of the instances where you tried to see the children will show the courts how much you care and wish to be involved.
  • Let your children decide: When you do get time with your children, be sure to focus on them. Don’t let your ex ruin the quality time you have with them. Ensure your children have a fun time and reiterate how much you love and care for them.
  • Show the children you care: Your ex has probably been speaking ill of you towards the children. Bringing up the situation with them might not be the best idea. Showing the kids, you care about them, might be enough to prove your ex wrong. Playing into her manipulation may only make the situation worse.

If you believe you have enough evidence to prove your ex-spouse is attempting to sabotage your relationship with the kids, you may want to get the courts involved. Behavior like this can damage a child mentally for years to come. Reaching out to an experienced attorney can undoubtedly help you overcome this situation.